Congratulations on your upcoming baby! We know there are many decisions to make and we applaud you for researching a pediatrician for your new baby arrival. Please be sure to read more notes and information about newborns here.
We will do home visits on babies born at home if we can. We require a prenatal visit at Kiwi before delivery and will want to obtain prenatal information from your midwife. Please call us ahead of time for a prenatal visit, if you are planning a homebirth.
After baby is born, please leave a message at (510) 652-1743 as soon as your baby is born.
Please note, for all home birth babies visited by Kiwi providers, we require the following:
- A prenatal consult visit with a Kiwi provider (at either of our offices).
- Prenatal lab results from your midwife as well as the midwife's newborn delivery data.
- A vitamin K injection given at birth to prevent the potentially fatal condition called hemorrhagic disease of the newborn.
For all newborns we recommend the following state-required procedures for your baby:
- A Vitamin K injection to prevent bleeding problems, which are potentially fatal. We, at Kiwi, consider this mandatory.
- Erythromycin antibiotic ointment for the eyes to prevent gonorrhea and chlamydia eye infections.
- The Hepatitis B vaccination.
- The Newborn Screen, a heel-poke blood test for multiple rare diseases that can cause severe mental retardation or life threatening metabolic crises which are preventable if caught early on this screening test. It also checks for Sickle Cell and other abnormal hemoglobins and Cystic Fibrosis.
- Hearing Screening to identify hearing problems as early as possible.
Please call us to arrange your visit, and we will be happy to answer all your questions about your upcoming home birth and new baby. You can find out all the ways to reach us here.
Your can read more about our providers here.
We look forward to meeting you!